If you are ever in need of a side to make for an impromptu dinner party, consider this luxurious mushroom risotto. This simple yet elegant mushroom risotto is thick, creamy, and a perfect way to showcase the exquisite flavor of Florida oyster mushrooms. Best served with a light protein and some fresh greens, this risotto will impress anyone at dinner – especially if there are vegetarians at the table!
Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
Shallots – 1/3 cup
Garlic – 2 tablespoons
Fresh Florida oyster mushrooms – 3 cups
Marsala – 1/4 cup
White wine – 1/2 cup
Arborio rice – 1 cup
Mushroom stock (or water) – 1.5 cups
Grated parmesan – 2 cups
Flowers or garnish (optional)
Cook time: About 30 minutes
Step-By-Step Photo Guide
1. Turn a wide pot to medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add 1/3 cup of shallots and 2 tablespoons of garlic. Simmer and stir until translucent.
2. Add 3 cups of sliced Better Shrooms Florida oyster mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Deglaze pan with 1/4 cup of Marsala and 1/2 cup of white wine. Cook until almost dry.
4. Add 1 cup of Arborio rice and cook until ends of rice grain are translucent, which is typically about 2 minutes.
5. Add stock or water in 3 applications, cooking down until almost dry each time.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning as you are cooking. Chef’s note: The rice should still have a small amount of crunch.
7. Finish with 2 cups of grated parmesan and serve immediately.
About Better Shrooms
AgriFacture’s original Better Shrooms are grown in AgriFacture’s facility in Flat Rock, NC.
AgriFacture utilizes Controlled Environment Agriculture (CEA), a technology-based approach toward food production that reduces any points of contamination throughout the growing process. The highly-controlled environment provides the mushrooms with the optimum growing conditions to produce the best of products.
AgriFacture’s produce is completely free of chemicals and pesticides, the growth medium is sterilized, the air is filtered, the water is purified to 0ppm, and temperature and lighting are provided for maximum product production. This process results in a better taste – a better product – that far exceeds anything “organic”. That is where the produce gets the name “Better”.
AgriFacture currently supplies Better Shrooms to a number of co-ops, markets, restaurants, and CSA programs in the Hendersonville/Asheville area. Better Shrooms are also certified Appalachian Grown, making them a certified local food.
For more information about AgriFacture’s and our pure growing process, click here.
AgriFacture is a family-owned business that has spent the last decade developing cutting-edge methodologies to change the entire dynamics of agriculture. AgriFacture’s model of controlled environmental agriculture allows consumers to enjoy local, fresh, pesticide-free, nutrient-rich vegetables, fruits, mushrooms and herbs year-round, regardless of where they live.
AgriFacture currently utilizes a 10,000-square-foot research and development facility in Flat Rock, NC and plans to build an even larger 40,000-square-foot indoor farm. Unlike other commercial vertical farms on the market today, AgriFacture changes the dynamic by utilizing robotics and automation to control the entire process – from seed to fork.